Tuesday, June 19, 2007

It Won't Be Soon Before I Ask For My Money Back


Thanks to Maroon 5, I have learned a valuable lesson about the sophomore album. They usually suck. Once a band releases a killer, ground-breaking album their follow-up takes a long time to complete and usually completely disappoints their fan base. It's known as the sophomore album slump or 'the curse'. Maroon 5 is no exception to the rule, in fact they've set the bar pretty low. After winning the 'best new artist' grammy, everyone wondered whether they would fall under that curse too. Only time will tell, but if they keep releasing albums like It Won't Be Soon Before Long, then they will drift away into obscurity and wind up playing the county fair in a few years. Bang those hot models while you can Adam.
Why am I so intent on bashing this album? Hmm.. well maybe it's because every song sounds like something I've already heard before. Their previous album, Songs About Jane sounded like nothing I had ever heard before. They crafted this perfect blend of pop, soul, funk, and rock into one album that you couldn't listen to only once. It was an album made for the repeat button..or was the repeat button made for it?
After listening to a couple of tracks on IWBSBL, I really thought I had downloaded a Justin Timberlake or Robin Thicke album by mistake. I had to do a double take just to make sure this was really Maroon 5 I was listening to. It is more bubble gum pop than funk, and not even good bubblegum pop, it's craptastic pop. It would have been nice if they at least put a couple of songs on the album that were not meant to be singles, you know like some deep cuts they could be proud of. I couldn't sleep at night if I released this album. I would toss and turn wondering when one of my fans was going to pop in my window and kick me in the nuts.

waste your money here

No comments: